Mon 25 Nov 13 - Fri 29 Nov 13 33 °F
There’s so much about the housing here that is different. For example, it is more common than uncommon to just have one master bathroom for a family. The bathroom is considered a family room - meant to be shared, like the kitchen or the living room. Everyone just learns to share.
And it’s quite quirky to me that apartments don't come with any built-in closets. You buy your own cupboards or build your own closets. Rising to that challenge, the decision was made to design our own closet and have it up well before the bed we ordered arrives. As good Consultants, we:
1. Conducted an as-is analysis - how small did you say this nook was?
2. Gathered requirements - space for how many shoes?
3. Launched into Conceptual Design and created a Mock-up- how long should the hanger space be to fit a skirt suit?
4. Went on a field trip to assess materials - how many slats do we need, how many thingamajigs to hold this whole thing up?
5. Performed a mini Test, after the materials were delivered - held up the slats to see if they would actually fit in that space, counted them to ensure that all the bits and bobs had been delivered.
Go-Live morning arrives: The installers call to say that they are running 30 minutes late - how un-Swiss; they arrive precisely 30 minutes later. And promptly announce that the wall is not strong enough to hold the construction; they cannot install the closet and we now have to return all the stuff and figure something else out. Many-slip-cup-lip.
I sulk, almost cry out of frustration, want to call my mommy and whine, and go for a brisk walk - to the Children’s hospital, to hang out with Gr who is babysitting his nephew, while the kid's parents go in for some pediatric consults with the doctors. And then it strikes me - everyone in the hospital is really “worse off” than me. They are here because there is something wrong with their child, be it a fever or a broken toe or something more dramatic. And the poor little kids are there without even knowing why they are there. And I have the gall to sulk over an incomplete closet?